Thread: What do you do?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2003, 12:12 PM   #4
Terloch

Terloch is on a distinguished road
I feel your pain in a way Onyx. I -am- a coder, but honestly, my ideas flow faster than I can code them, and are usually a bit more complex than I know HOW to code them. Luckily for me, I have a head coder who is used to my flurries of emails with ideas spouting off in torrents, and then she puts them in code, more effectively and faster than I could ever imagine myself doing.

So, you have two options really, at least imho...

1) Get on an imm staff where your ideas are taken heavily into consideration (possibly would have to be your own mud?).

2) Learn how to code what you want yourself, and more than likely, have your own mud...

I do agree that getting some experience on an imm staff is useful. What I would recommend is sitting down with the people who code and/or are the decision makers for where you play, and see if your ideas would work there, and/or if they won't and how they could be added in. Ask to be kept involved in the process and to see the code they are adding in for your idea so that you have a better idea of how/what is going on and how it's being implemented...

Complete freedom to do what you want isn't even a guarantee even if you HAVE your own mud though, there are plenty of ideas that I've wanted to put in (or have put in) that the players and staff either didn't like, or didn't use, or just flat out hated....keep that in mind too...
Terloch is offline   Reply With Quote