View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Re: A Night of Etiquette

People who take virtual games and the internet in general too seriously bother me. Even if sarcasm generally doesn’t go down well on the net, I agree with Jazuela that taking some time-out to chortle over the stupidity of certain phenomena usually is a good habit.

Posters who don't know when to stop arguing bother me, since those mega long threads, with arguments going around in circles and becoming stupider for each lap, eventually get so boring that I want to scream.

Posts that are mostly flamebait bother me, since they generally achieve what they are trolling for, and then we end up with another one of those mega long, boring threads.

Animated discussions, healthy arguments and people disagreeing with my opinions, (even in a heated way), don’t bother me. After all, that is what a Discussion Board is all about.

Threads and posts that contain nothing but fluff bother me, since they add negatively to the signal-to-spam ratio.

Certain topics bother me, since they have been hashed and rehashed so may times that my instinctive reaction on spotting one of them is – ‘Oh no! Not again!’ Still, I can understand that those topics sometimes rise again, because they never were resolved, and because new board members aren’t always aware that the horse has already been beaten to too death many times.

Allegations or insults directed at groups of people bother me, especially if they are meant to disguise an attack on a specific poster.

Direct personal attacks bother me a lot less. At least it is clear then what we have to deal with.

The recently implemented moderating rules don't bother me, unless for the fact that it seems that collective attacks are still acceptable, whereas personal attacks are not. I actually caught myself resorting to collective allegations lately, to avoid getting my post deleted, and there seems to be something infinitely wrong with that discovery...
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote