View Single Post
Old 10-01-2005, 10:35 AM   #10
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road
Are we talking about home page (the first main page of a website) or the website?

For best home pages (main page) I would say of the top 20 muds Aetolia best achieves what I think a home page should do.

Oddly, this has come up for me recently when discussing what should happen when someone clicks on your home page.

Two things: First it should make someone want to play. It should give information about what your game is, and make people climb on board with your idea.

Second it should give an easy navigation to the rest of the site. One you accomplish goal one, and make people want to play, it should be easy to for someone to find the information that tells them how to play.

Aetolia's first page starts with an short colorful explanation of what the world is. This is followed by a come on in the form of short paragraphs headed by an action verb. I think it's the best pitch.

I wouldn't personally play Aetolia because it doesn't fall into the niche of muds I like. But their first page was good enough to make me momentarily wonder.

Oddly, the two muds I think are most suited to my playstyle and what I want in a mud, do this very poorly. They start by telling me about the codebase and the rules. (This is a DIKU MUD and it's an RPI) Great, Important information to have on your site, but not something that captures the imagination of the potential player.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote