View Single Post
Old 04-29-2002, 03:09 PM   #3
Yazracor

Yazracor is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Well, i read through your paper, and I must say: This is far more
ambitious than what I had planned.
IMHO, the general structure of the Database looks well suited to your
kind of task. I especially like the idea of giving each fact an emotion attribute - this will make generating useful response a lot easier.
I believe, though, that you underestimate the difficulties of gettting the mobs to "understand" what their conversational partner is saying - if you want more than a chatterbot such as ELIZA "simple patterns and keywords" surely won't be enough.
As a tip: try and check out , a huge database of semantic relations between words. I think combining this with a system for tagging parts of speeches is a far better way to analyze what the player is trying to say. Also, this technique *might* be useful to build up the knowledge base, as in a running mud you will already have all sorts of information (be it within room descriptions or help files). Running this through the engine could be useful for an initial base that can then be further refined. I think generating a full representation of a MUD-world from scratch is a humongous task, as you will have to include so many details of every-day-knowledge. Also, in many muds there are no commands or skills for exactly those every-day tasks (cutting some wood, eg.), so that information will have to come from other sources.
Yazracor is offline   Reply With Quote