Old 07-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #34
Parhelion

Name: Sarah
Home MUD: Ethos
Parhelion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Parhelion
Re: The "Health," of Muds

Wow, resurrecting long-dead threads. :P

My opinion on the matter is still exactly the same as it was back in early 2008 (I gave the first reply to the OP).

However, in the past two years, I have become more involved with community work and so I'm painfully more aware of in-production MUDs. It seems to me that while player numbers are dwindling (on most MUDs that I've tried, very few can boast a base that's even as half as strong as what it may have been or even was several years ago), the number of MUDs being opened continues to rise - which suggests that the entire argument that the number of MUDs is an indication of the health of the entire MUDverse is extremely unsound.

Most of the MUDs that I am aware of that are being worked on sound like carbon copies of what we already have in the community, and I doubt that seeing 10 more stock MUDs open is going to do us any good.

On the brighter side, many of these in-production MUDs appear to have a great deal of work going into them, as well as lively advertising. I know of at least five games (in alpha and beta) that appear to be very strong candidates for being "successful" long term. A concentrated effort from a few very high-quality games may be just what we need to get the ball rolling again.
Parhelion is offline   Reply With Quote