View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
realmsofvalor

realmsofvalor is on a distinguished road
Re: Yet another looking for a mud request

Hello meepo64 (and meepo65, meepo66 & meepo67 if divided you stand),

I'd like to take a moment to hit on some of the things you've been looking for in a MUD in regards to the game I work on, Arantha (arantha.net:4000). We are a comparatively new roleplay-required MUD that is always looking for players and helpers.

First, the bad: Our crafting system is not 'robust', in fact it is mostly non-existent. Though gem-crafting elements will be in-game shortly, weapon and other craft systems are largely absent; these have been skimped while many other areas of the game have much time and effort put into them. More than a few of these 'looking for a MUD' posts emphasize strong crafting systems, and I don't want to falsify what we offer. This is certainly something I want to build up in the future, and I would welcome discussion on how to do so and what folks find important and attractive in a crafting system.

Our quest system is something different from the usual autoquests that many games provide. I am interested in putting in some linear elements, but not to the excess that many games do. We rely on quests and roleplay spun by our Staff members, and usually run an event roughly once a week; this is an opportunity to not only loot and profit, risking life and limb, but also to show off your roleplay in front of an audience. Arantha's staff is very encouraging of exceptional roleplay and ready to reward where it is glimpsed.

There are guilds of various sorts, some established and populated by players, others in campaign and as of yet fleshed-out. This is an area where I have come to rely on players (with Staff aid) steering the organizations, with a flexible campaign background to get them started. Ultimately, it ain't about the establishment, it's the players that make things bloom and grow. If you see something you like, or don't, or feel is missing, or wish to bring to life, by all means, let's talk about it! Your ideas are just as much fodder for the world as ours.

Our setting is medieval fantasy with rules emulated from AD&D 2nd edition, we've got a great amount of areas (over 3,500 rooms EACH with unique description), and food, hey, plenty of that.. and there's plenty more we could have! Think we should have more chicken? Write some up, I'd be glad to plug in more chicken! 'Least you got it!

Our playerbase is not large enough to assume real difficulty in 'making your mark', as it were, and we at Arantha are all about the fun of the game. It's one of our rules, in fact, the most important one. The world is, outside of cities, unfortunately dangerous and there is the chance for some player-killing, but we restrict it to roleplay-requirements (would your character murder? what's the justification?). We are 'Adult' in that you must be 18 years of age to create an account, due to the sometimes-adult themes, text violence, and occasional curse words.

If you've great imagination, come by and check out our vibes, and see if Arantha works for you. In any event, have fun and best of luck on your search for a MUD to call home!

Our website:
realmsofvalor is offline   Reply With Quote