View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough
The greastest computer game lives again

I must share... I have been playing home computer games since the introduction of the lowely ZX81 (Monster Maze).. but I was there at the major evolution of games.. when something special happened, that special something was Elite

Forget your text adventure games, which I loved, (Sphinx Adventure was the first I played.. took a lot from Colossal caves, including use of XYZZY as a magic word), your platformers, and arcade conversations (BBC version of pacman was still the best of the time)... Elite was something else, the next generation and I still remember the effect it had on me at the time.

It was released on every platform going, and spawned some technologically impressive sequals (Frontier which fit on ONE Amiga Floppy and yet had a galazy of 64000 planets which you could fly down to building level on).. but Elite still was the one I remember fondly.

There have been many attempt to recreate, but I had to accept through many retries that Elite was dead, and if I wanted similar.. it would have to be something like X2 or Freelance or Eve online.. but none of them held my attention for very long..

Well all this weekend I have been lost in Oolite () and its BRILLIANT. The original game with top notch modern technology. Addons galore, AI, proper planets.. whole ARMIES of ships on screen, tons of new stuff but it still has the heart of the old game. Flying through space watching a horde of pirates chasing a lone trader, and then blink in shock as he radios you for help.. Asteroid fields, Thargoid assaults on Space Stations, and ships that have access to ALL the technoology you have

Elite lives again, trust me, if you like EVE, Freelancer, or X2.. play the original game that sparked off the 3d genre.. try OOLITE and feel born again like me! and its FREE.

There is a wiki and about 10 pages of addons on the site.

Excuse me, I have to deliver 28 tonnes of Furs to Ensoreus so I can afford a nuclear missile.. I have a hankering to take on a Thargoid battle cruiser!!!!
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote