View Single Post
Old 07-05-2003, 09:22 AM   #7
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I'm thinking maybe you are referring to hack and slash games and not to RPIs..

But my GM experience included several deaths of the characters I played while in "GM-Mode." Some of them were intentional - I purposely gave the players a reason to want my character dead, so that I could finish up or move a plotline along. Some of them were unintentional, but hey - that's all part of the RP, and it wasn't my job to force the players to react however I wanted them to act. It was my job to present the plotline and let them react however it was appropriate for their character to react.

If that meant my NPC died, oh well.

But if I had some reason to be invincible, it wasn't hard at all. Just change my HPs to 1000, change my level to 500, change my dodge skill to 999, my weapon skill to 999 and poof - invincible NPC.

It certainly was not hard-coded. We were required to create believable NPCs. A little girl showing up lost and scared should -not- be impervious to attack. A priest of Falia should not be "immortal," but should have the same strengths and weaknesses that any other priest of his/her particular race would have. Perhaps the background of that priest includes focused study on druidry, which would mean she's better at it than the usual citizen, but she should still be killable by at least -someone.-
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote