View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
silvarilon

silvarilon is on a distinguished road
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

What is your opinion of "Magic Lite" settings?

As in, they have those "soft fantasy" elements, but the magic fades in the background in comparison to "normal technology"

The sort of setting where you can throw a fireball, or summon food. But most people would find it more convenient to fire a crossbow, or bake a loaf of bread.

Is that the sort of thing that you're after? Or would the ability to throw the fireball at all, even if it comes up rarely, already be the deal-breaker?

(My questions are motivated by not really understanding what you mean by "hard fantasy" - since Lord of the Rings, as you point out, is full of fantastical elements. Giant spiders, dragons, something crazy at every turn... I don't really see the distinction between that & most muds, aside from the lack of magical powers that the primary characters carry with them, and even then, there's a significant number with quasi-magical power, and others with actual-magic)

(Would true "hard fantasy" be a fantasy story set in a realistic medieval world, with no magic, but still swashbuckling adventure? Like "The Princess Bride"? Or am I on the wrong track?)
silvarilon is offline   Reply With Quote