View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 04:43 AM   #86
Hadoryu

Hadoryu is on a distinguished road
If decisions have totally unpredictable outcomes then the only thing that would really count as skill is intuition. Could you say that you're very good at RPS even if you play it a lot? A combat system, in my opinion, has to give you a lot of room to grow and perfect your skills - if the system is reduced to each move having a no more predictable effect than the other then you're operating on pure intuition, not skill or experience. And the moment you reduce the ambiguity of the decision making, a script system can be made to make the best decisions based on the present knowledge.

Oh certainly, if you change the mechanics around you can cause situations that are more and more difficult (but not impossible) to script. That's very much in line with what I was suggesting about making the circumstances vary too wildly and putting the focus on the player's flexible thinking rather than reaction time.

What I actually didn't agree with is that simply introducing multiple targets would make a difference. You can have multiple targets or a single target and still be equally limited in your 'best' decisions. However, you can have multiple targets or a single target and still have a wide array of 'good' decisions all with their long-term tactial pros and cons.
Hadoryu is offline   Reply With Quote