View Single Post
Old 09-13-2004, 06:55 PM   #1
karlan

karlan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

AAAARGH!!!!

I have run into things like this a few times, sometimes on an otherwise good MU* as well. Maybe it is just me, and maybe I am being too picky, but...

1) Why did I find a Star Wars MUD with a dwarf in it?
2) Why is there a gnome city in a Wheel of Time MUD?
3) Why are there elves in a Helliconia MUD?
...and various combinations, the WoT and Helliconia ones have both got elves, dwarves, gnomes, other species/races that where not even hinted at in the stories. Part of the reason for a themed MUD was to be immersed in the story. The star wars one in particular was bad, I found myself in Midgaard, renamed Mos Eisley, with a jedi dwarf fighting a stormtrooper armed with a bronze short sword, near a statue of Obi Wan Kenobi.

Some of those are quite high up on the rankings as well. I am not saying they are automatically crud, but I would like to know why they admins have felt they needed to go outside the bounds of the story?

*Grumble* If you want elves and drawves and such, play a generic(ish) high fantasy MU*, if you want to say based on the books by... do not abuse the story like that, or at least call the races something story appropriate and come up with a good background.
karlan is offline   Reply With Quote