View Single Post
Old 07-09-2005, 12:39 PM   #15
Dovolente

Home MUD: Avendar: the Crucible of Legends
Dovolente is on a distinguished road
I gravitate towards action-oriented RP MUDS in which interactions tend to be minimally padded with insignificant (to me) details. I'm interested in the storyline, the happenings, but not that the dark, furrowed brows I saw in a desc are, in fact, still dark and furrowed. I like an occasional little bit of descriptive info along with the action or words of a char for flavoring, but it seems more effective to me when characters show the depth and adherence to role through words and actions without a great deal of mundane descriptive padding.

Poses with more than a couple of lines seem to me like attempts to 'hog the stage'. Long soliloquy turn-taking would seem unrealistic and awkward. And response times of more than 1 - 1.5 minutes would suggest to me that a char I'm RPing with is having link problems or an AFK emergency. These are my own impressions, though--from the thread, I see many of us have very different RP sensibilities.

One of the reasons I gave up on Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series was that the movement of the story felt continually bogged down by minutiae. A fantastic story--but the 16th description of the height of a bustline and a character tugging her braid for the 34th time--how tedious!
Dovolente is offline   Reply With Quote