View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 04:00 AM   #18
RikeDeJeanVonLe

RikeDeJeanVonLe is on a distinguished road
My first "home" MUD had levels, skill numbers, stat numbers, the whole nine yards (except, no exp).  Personally, this was fine.  The game had OOC channels that were available, took out tell (except for staff) and was very much an original world.  The beautiful thing was, after the first 5 levels or so (after you got out of the newbie phase) the game took on a whole new dynamic.  Those first levels were for new players to get oriented, and gain some abilities.  After crossing over, the hack'n'slash feature got old quickly (after level 7 it took an average of an hour to raise a skill up a point) and so RP became the next best thing.  There was a language barrier, and so emotes were used very often to deal with foreign players (although not the twelve line emotes passed off as proper use of the command).  The point of this being that RP is not dependant on existance or lack of game mechanics, numbers, OOC elements, or even storylines and dynamic elements (this was several years ago, and the biggest dynamic thing was that the sun went down and the sun came up which altered how well one could see, either too bright, too dark or just right).  RP is entirly dependant on the people in the game.  Personally, some of my more meaningful RP adventures centered around NPCs.  Quick example, I happened to walk into a town when another PC was taking out the citizens, and after chasing the char away, I started to act out a reconstruction scenario (fixing houses, mending wounds, funeral rites for the dead).  After about a quarter of an hour, a small group of players (mostly youngins) happend by the town and were very curious about what was going on.  I then spent another hour in the town before taking off with one of the other PCs (the one that spoke my IC language) and went to a nice tavern for some ale, where another scenario with a bard developed, but that's another story.  

When the Pbase is RPing with your NPCs, then you have an atmosphere condusive to RP.  On my longest running character, I only made it to level 11, but I spent many hours doing odd things in RP.  Hack'n'slash was a way to kill time or a good hook to get to know someone (vs standing around the well sipping muddy water).  If you can't start up an RP session because you see some numbers, then it is a personal problem, and not the fault of the code.
RikeDeJeanVonLe is offline   Reply With Quote