View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 07:21 PM   #355
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
They serve as examples of how those muds could reasonably be classified as "free to play", despite not being what most people would consider "free to play".

Would you consider the muds I listed previously to be misleading if they only mentioned being "free to play"?  Well, there are people who feel the same way about IRE.

However there are many people who disagree with that view, just as there are people who disagree with my statements about Guild Wars being "free to play".

Because that was the exact argument used by a previous poster to explain why IRE muds are "free to play", despite the fact that they agreed it would be misleading simply to advertise it as "free".  My point was if you use that reasoning for one mud, it should be applied equally to all muds.

Because my personal interpretation of "free to play" is more than the literal meaning of the phrase, as I explained a couple of posts back.

No.  Going by the literal meaning, then both could argue that they are "free to play".  However I find that misleading in both cases, because I consider Guild Wars to be "free to play but pay for the client", Threshold to be "free to play but pay for registration" and the IRE muds to be "free to play but pay to compete".
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote