View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #20
locke
Banned

Home MUD: nimud.divineright.org 5333
locke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NiMUD 5 Re-released Under AL/GPL

The Isles was popular before it released its OLC features. It had 20 players online at any given time, and had only been around for a few months. CthulhuMUD had about 5 players at any given time and was its direct predecessor. I also ran/developed this. It had OLC, and it also had something called "ritualistic magic" -- (It is not the CthulhuMUD that is out there today.)

The Isles reached a second height of popularity a few years later when it was an RP intensive MUD during the period that I collaborated with Morgenes of Aldara ]I[. Aside from this, its OLC features are immensely popular and have had tens of thousands of users.

Using your logic, Bartle's MUD II would be an example of a "failed" and irrelevant MUD. I think you're just wrapping insults up with glossy paper.

Well, it's not really possible to plug an entire mud into to something else. Parts of it, maybe (and have been such as HIT_FUN or other subsystems) -- it doesn't use the same types and requires painstaking redeployment procedures. Significant (reverse?) engineering would have to occur to get it to work with a MERC. See "installing NiMScripts in Merc" doc that is floating around out there and you will see the differences.

Furthermore, there have been 4 derivatives and one hugely popular MUD that have came out of this project. The four derivatives are: eWar (Emlen based), FateMUD (Emlen based, not distributed), Midpoint Void (NiMUD derivation point) and EmlenMUD I (Midpoint Void based). Additionally, there was the immensely popular "ROP" or "Rites of Passage" which had supposedly 90+ people online at any given time according to the administrators and former players.

Any source code derivative of NiMUD source code must adhere to the AL 2.0 license and be released under AL 2.0. It's protected. Prior versions such as the ones on ftpgame.org are under the Diku/Merc/NiMUD license tree. I can't really speak to those versions except to say that they are depreciated.

Last edited by locke : 06-25-2009 at 03:06 PM.