View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Male and Female Players: Are the experiences different?

I'm thinking our system may operate a little bit more differently than most. Our coders create large systems, and our builders plug in the writing. So, I think the builders do the scripting while the coders get down and dirty with the nitty gritty code. Almost all of our builders know basic code, so they're able to hand-code variations in an area. Other than that, they just set up values, and the systems take care of the rest. Builders mostly write and design items, areas, and tasks while the men are off coding. At least 75% of our building team is female. We've only got 2 guy builders!

I can't really answer what would definitely appeal to women, but I did write an article on it. You can find it in the article section of TMS. I think I originally wrote it for Imaginary Realities. What I can say that is that Age of Conan might be the first game where I actually felt like it didn't even bother to try to appeal to women and actually catered to men. I don't want to go as far to say that the game is sexist, but if there's a graphical game out there that is sexist, it would be AoC.

I can list the things that usually appeal to me that have less appeal for my husband:

1) Cute little pets that follow me around and do silly things when I click on them.
2) Collecting things within a game and showing it off.
3) Intense house design (which usually involves collecting and showing off)
4) Chatting up random people
5) Looking for random/weird things in the scenery. This can include trying to look at every object in a room. I love discovering something really different.
6) Establishing a network to sell my crap. (I'm not a big fan of auction houses.)
7) Getting powers that just look cool as opposed to doing a bleep-ton of damage. (I like the damage ones, too, but I'm okay with getting just a few cool looking "powers" that don't do anything but look cool.)
8) Running events.
9) Creating organizations that focus on something more than leveling up.
10) Creating strange RP scenarios and trying to get people involved. (I created a Save the Leet Foundation on AO and went around begging for food to feed the leets. Hubby found great amusement in this but wouldn't have done it himself.)

So, a lot of my stuff involves finding a self-made game within a game rather than simply just playing the game. Thus, I love a TON of content and a lot of options to do various things. (I think this is why I couldn't stick with WoW in the long run. It was combat and more combat or clicky crafting. Blah. Fishing was my favorite thing on WoW.)

Don't get me wrong. I love the levels. I love PvP. I like crushing opponents. I tend to be more like my husband when it comes to game than unlike him, but there are just a few differences.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote