Thread: $20 (USD)/Zone
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2003, 08:48 AM   #39
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Yes, I work for free.
BUT - I work for free in a Mud that values and respects my work, and the work of all Builders.

I would never even dream of working for peanut money – or even somewhat bigger money - in a place where the owner publicly states that the work of Builders isn’t worth a tenth of the work of Coders.

And getting an occasional patronising pat on the head or a lollipop in the form of a free weekend in Vegas once a year wouldn’t help either.
Rather the opposite.

But I guess a person who can post something like:      would never realise the difference.
You know, that remark rather reminds me of the sleazy salesmen, who sell unsuspecting and naive people things they don’t really want or need, and then say ‘Well, you didn’t read the fine print’ when their targets try to cancel the contract.

Like Iluvatar, I also remember you climbing on a very high horse in a thread about ‘intellectual property’ some while back. But obviously ‘intellectual property‘ only means something to you, if it also has an established commercial value - to quote yourself again; ‘is a saleable asset’.

Yet another of your cute quotes in this thread is this one:
Yeah, right, could that possibly be because talent, imagination, ingenuity and creativity cannot really be trained? And in case you never realised, these are not qualities that everybody possesses.

I am actually going to climb out on a limb here, and state that a Mud coder that doesn't possess a certain amount of these qualities too will never become a really 'great' coder, however many years he spends on formal training in using his tools.

I do however actually agree on your three points about what generally attracts Builders. It’s encouraging to see that there are at least SOME things we can agree on. Personally I would of course have added a fourth point to your three:

4. Respect. Builders want a Mud owner that respects their work for what it is worth, both in the Mud and publicly, on boards like this one.

Finally, I totally fail see how the case of one of your staff members going paedophile has got ANYTHING to do with the present discussion about Builders getting respect for and retaining the copyright to their work.
Naturally I’d kick out and ban a moron like that too. Who wouldn’t? Moreover, I would have reported him to the Police and the Net Authorities. And I wouldn’t even have dreamt of even THINKING of I’d kick that mort out faster than you could say siteban, and not wait for the other players to complain about it.
But then again, my players don’t pay me to play.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote