View Single Post
Old 04-07-2004, 08:23 PM   #20
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
First, I honestly do not see resurrection as any less realistic than casting fireballs or performing other feats of magic. Even most pen and paper RPGs have some sort of resurrection, cloning technology, etc.

Second, I agree that this is not a matter of right or wrong but a matter of personal preferences. That was my main point in my previous post. I caution people to be careful when they are sharing personal preferences so they do not make it sound like their preferences are canon.

While we do not agree on our favorite set of features, I think we DO agree on the larger issue. The larger issue is that the more precisely you try to define the term "RPI" the more you will start getting into personal preferences.

I have absolutely no problem with someone saying:

"For me, an RPI game has permanent death."

What I take issue with is:

"For a game to be an RPI, it must have permanent death, no OOC channels, etc. etc."

In other words, I take issue with someone taking issues of personal preference and attempting to make them definitive traits that are bare minimum requirements.

Incidentally, I am not against the concept of permanent death. I think it is a great game design concept. I also see benefits in non-permanent death, however. While it is not a "role playing" game, I have made hardcore Diablo 2 characters that were a blast. Knowing that death was final definitely added to the excitement. Despite that, I still prefer games (as both player and designer) where death is not permanent. I have always felt a more long term, visceral attachment to such characters. That's just my personal preference.

Excellent point. I agree completely.

SIDENOTE: While I agree Harshlands and Threshold are very different types of games, they aren't completely incompatible. One of the long, long, long time admins of Harshlands has been playing Threshold religiously for 6 years. I imagine if I had the time I would probably enjoy Harshlands as well.

Actually, I think it is somewhat dangerous to attempt the creation of arbitrary acronyms for every type of game out there. The amount of arguing would be prodigious and it would most likely degenerate into countless flame wars.

I think it would be more helpful and less divisive to develop a few general categories and agree on some important options WITHIN that category that differentiate games of the same genre.

For example:

Mandatory RPI Mud Features:

* Role Playing is *ENFORCED* and is not optional.
* OOC banter is not allowed in any IC location, mode of communication, etc.
* Character development/design of some sort is required before a character can become a part of the game.

Then when you read more about a certain game it would be nice to have a list of how the game treated issues such as:

[y/n] Death is Permanent.
[y/n] Game has global IC channels of any sort.
[y/n] Global IC channels are very limited in scope or utility.
[y/n] Game has IC tells or some similar method of IC cross-realm individual communication.
[y/n] Game has channels, forums, or special rooms for OOC communication.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote