View Single Post
Old 10-05-2002, 12:55 AM   #9
Seraphina

Seraphina is on a distinguished road
I take it this is a free and private mud so I say think outside the box.

Would it be possible to create an introductory character type for new players? You could design a mantatory background for a specific race, something simple that would explain them not knowing anything about the world. If possible limit their actions (no PkP for example).

One issue I am running into is that if I want to simply check out a game I don't want to spend time learning enough about the world to create an appropriate character. I just want to go in and explore a bit. Interact with other players, gain a feel for what it would be like.

When I began playing I had no background and no docs. I caught on fairly quickly simply by example. I made a few faux-pas but a whisper or two got me on the right track. After playing for a week or so then I was ready to "study".

I bet there are a lot of inexperienced players out there that would really appreciate a game that welcomes true newbies and gives them a chance to learn through experiencing a good rp intensive mud rather than requiring them to do a lot of studying before even trying the game.

Seeing that it is a private mud, you can evaluate players for as long as you need to and if you see they obviously aren't going to blend with the existing player base then you tell them their playing style isn't suited to your environment and wish them well with another game.

With an appropriate cover story, for example, a wizard blasts a distant island leaving all the inhabitants with amnesia. Periodically individuals from that island wash up on shore totally ignorant and must be retaught the ways of the world.

New members always begin that way, and if after a month or whatever time you deem necessary you feel they are prepared then they can go through the regular character generator.

Starting out that way people only need a very short behavior guide coupled with a list of the most important commands.
Seraphina is offline   Reply With Quote