View Single Post
Old 05-16-2003, 02:18 AM   #1
karlan

karlan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

While browsing through some old code at work (not MUD code, but relevant none the less) I came accross an attrocious cpp file, the various authors had come from different coding backgrounds (4 of them, an engineer used to  fortran, a java programmer, a C prima donna - not an attack at C users just this guy, and an amateur VB *shudder* user). 2 of them used a consistent style (alas, only within their own code, and not with each other) and the others were inconsistent even within their own functions *boggle*. As you can imagine this makes for very hard to maintain code. Since then the company has begun to enforce a style, and once you are used to it, it seems logical and easy to follow. Now I look at the CircleMUD code, and I can see the same thing, inconsistant styles, and hard to follow code in places.

I was wondering how many other coders follow some sort of standard (obviously not just your own personal one) and if anyone out there (in the appropriate position) enforces a standard on their coders.

When I write code, I aim to leave it maintainable by someone with no previous experience with that code (note THAT CODE! not no experience coding), do others try to do this too, or is "get it working" good enough?
karlan is offline   Reply With Quote