View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
Phoenixbinder

Phoenixbinder is on a distinguished road
Re: Help Finding a Mud

Thanks for the replies. To clarify a bit, every aspect I mentioned doesn't need to be met. The role play rewards that dark acacia mentioned sound like a step in the right direction. And I definitely don't need a MUD where a character can't level up save for finding rare items. I don't mind combat leveling, but I hate the static of knowing what your character's abilities will be with no room for creative expansion; the world just doesn't feel alive. Kill monsters to level up so you can explore a dungeon to find better weapons to kill monsters to level up. Why not explore a library in a wizard's tower and while reading you open a certain book that casts a spell summoning monsters that you kill to gain exp to level up like normal? Is that even possible to code?

I know events like that would make a MUD way more interesting to play but it still incorporates traditional game play. What about an Immortal dropping a book in a random library gives hints and clues to a great treasure and if the player decides to follow the quest and succeeds he gets cursed? When he tries to find the book to read it again to see why he was cursed or what he missed he finds it's either disappeared out of his inventory or disappeared from the library and because it was randomly and rarely put in place by an Immortal or code very few if ANY people know what he's talking about. It's random and totally unexpected in every way, especially the curse. If a person can be cursed by equipping an item why not by reading a book or killing a certain MOB? I don't know anything about code; maybe it's just not possible.

If that can't be coded how about an Immortal creates a new, evil or crazy Immortal character that they temporarily control to curse a player and cause other mischief? Then you can make your own quest by setting out to find out about the Immortal that cursed you? That doesn't have to be coded at all does it? The player sets out to reach a known Immortal who can remove the curse or point him in the right direction to get the curse removed. That makes everything so much more fun and exciting.

I'm sorry, I've gotten off track. Basically what I'm saying is I don't mind the MUD having traditional elements, I don't even mind if the MUD is based on traditional elements. I'm looking for a MUD that feels alive and different not static and dead like the few others I've played. And I don't mean dead as in lack of people. I've played Aardwolf and that MUD's got tons of people. I'm looking for a MUD that the Immortals and players care about and work together to make little things that make the world of the MUD great. A MUD like that may not exist, but I still wanted to give it a shot.

Thanks.
Phoenixbinder is offline   Reply With Quote