View Single Post
Old 06-17-2002, 03:35 AM   #15
Dre

Dre is on a distinguished road
Heya all,

The game where I play is really eq based. That said I know the benefits and detriments of equipment.

First off all why would you wear equipment?
1. Well if you don't you're naked, we wouldn't want that.
2. To get some protection, ac in most cases.
3. To look better.
and 4. To gain some advantages that might have been magically bound on the item.

The 4th point is being discussed and I think on a mud (don't know about mushes, sorry) 4 can be a good thing if regulated well. Most code bases have some limited code already and this might work well for some time. But in the end people will start complaining. If you want to make equipment only for show then you should make sure there's another way of "increasing" your stats or make the stats not really important. The game has to be "skill" based in stead of "stats" based.

I found that equipment is really cool to puzzle with. Finding better equipment will make you puzzle again so you can fit it in. The mud where I play we have a random system for equipment. So you could go around and find pretty nifty stuff, but you could also be actively looking and find only a few weak magic items. There are also limiteds which are worn mostly by the really experienced players and the players that have be on the mud the longest (which I think isn't completely fair)

I myself have thought about a "meaningless" equipment system, so you only wear them to be pretty or have good armor rating. But I would give away perma stat points if they completed particarly quests or do something important. Of course a lot of spells that would improve stats would be handy.

Greetings Dre
Dre is offline   Reply With Quote