View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
noodles

noodles is on a distinguished road
Re: Any interest in a MUD programming contest?

I'd appreciate any help in refining it to a workable scope.

Any suggestions about what to do about this? I see it as unavoidable that contests which aren't limited technical endeavours require the use of some pre-existing framework.

This brings in a problem. I think that, as you indicate below, entries need to be standalone, with source code, in the spirit that anyone judging it or coming to the contest can just pick them up and easily play with them. That is, for the contest to be worthwhile.

I like the PyWeek rule. That's not completely from scratch, but rather that everyone is on a level playing field as they cannot use their personal codebases. Only pre-existing documented open source libraries/frameworks available a month before the contest.

It isn't reasonable to push the same programming language or framework on programmers, so perhaps a range of decent code bases usable as suitable starting points might need to be proposed. Then there's the issue of whether there is a need for a decent preexising amount of game code over and above that framework.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with this?

As I've indicated above, I think this needs to be a prerequisite, to give the contest entries value in the long term. In the short term, as someone who would like to enter in such a contest, it is something which lends credence to a contest to me.

Last edited by noodles : 03-01-2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Clarified last paragraph.
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote