View Single Post
Old 08-30-2002, 12:21 PM   #1
Sapphar

Unhappy

I’ve seen this in new MU**s, I’ve seen this in MU**s that have been around for years. Code snippets are added or sometimes new code is written. A stated goal (usually stated to players, sometimes only to staff) is to put in something “unique” “different” or “cutting edge”. This can be everything from a craft system “like no other!” to a different type of channel or modification to the commands available or the command names. I can very much understand the desire to stand out from the crowd, but of all the things that one can do to their code, what is actually worthwhile in terms of creating a good quality MU**? Personally, I find non-substantive changes irritating. By substantive, I mean things that fundamentally add to the actions a character can do, the skills a character can learn, the rp environment created for the characters to live in, or the places a character can go and how they get there. I do not go to yet another ROM or other Diku derivative game just to have to figure out a whole new list of commands before I can get out of the newbie area.

How should administrators figure out the balance of “new and unique!” verses “tried and true”. And what is a useful, productive, interesting change verses one that in the end only scratches at the surface of the game?