Thread: RP Pet-peeves
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2004, 11:33 PM   #9
Caggles

Caggles is on a distinguished road
1) Drama queens. Ohhh yes. The ones who'll blub some harrowing back story to any stranger in a pub. Now, I don't know what sort of pubs you visit, but if you were to do that in my local, you wouldn't get sympathy, you'd get the police in.

2) Anybody whose character has sapphire or emerald eyes. Please, please, please, just come up with something new? Same applies to anyone decsribing themselves using the word "pert" or "sensual". Please, both hands on the keyboard, lads.

3) Superman syndrome. Typical of drama queens, they'll have some harrowing back story, so if challenged, they can say, "oh, but I do have flaws, look, I hate my father for throwing me out when I was sixteen, but I'm better now", then go on to be good at everything they rp doing. And I mean everything. They'll be good dancers, acrobats, fighters, diplomats, they'll be a bloody brain surgeon/rocket scientist and prize-winning football player, and all without breaking a sweat. Honestly, people, being bad at things can be fun!

4) People who don't take the time to do even some basic research into the background they choose. For example if playing a pirate, I'd go out and look a few things up, and not just rely on my drooling over Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean as a suitable research technique, enjoyable thought it is.

5) The word slightly. Please don't use it. There are so many other words to use.

6) The word "okay", used in a fantasy setting. It just really throws me off, as though they'd said "railway" or "radio".

7) Unnecessary spammage of OOC info. "XXX tells you: I've got 1000 hp and a hitroll of 32!". Well, bully for them. Please don't tell me, I don't want to know info about the mechanics of your character. Worse yet, to do so IC, with the numbers. A slightly less wanky way to do it is to be a little more vague, "I am very good at using daggers", instead of "my dagger skill is 100%!"

8) People who use notes/messengers/whatever other system there is in order to blatantly make up plot, which really couldn't have happened, shouldn't have happened, or worse yet, implies your own character was involved as well. There are RP message boards for that kind of thing. If you can't realistically do it IC, don't send notes about it. Allow failure, which can't be done in notes. Goes back to Superman syndrome, above.
Caggles is offline   Reply With Quote