View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
Brawndel

Brawndel is on a distinguished road
Question lpc now, or raw programming later?

Heya folks!

I've been dabbling with lpc for a few months now, and where as I'm no connoisseur when it comes to programming with it, I'm learning quickly enough.
My question is this.
I'm wondering if it is worth sticking with lpc and mastering the language, when lpc is not really used for anything aside from certain types of muds. My other option would be to take a couple classes in java/C# etc (I can not find a school that will teach C anymore, and I am not self motivated enough to learn it myself), and find a codebase out there that I can work with in the language that I choose to learn, or work on a codebase from scratch.
I would like to learn some raw programming eventually anyway, but I guess my main question is whether a mud coded in lpc is as functional as a mud coded in a mainstream language. Without the knowledge of C, I'll never be able to tackle the lp driver... and will that be a problem? Can I really make an lp mud special, containing all that I've dreamed of in a mud? Or would a mud coded from the ground up be more versital?
Let me know if you have any advice/suggestions, I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks a lot
Brawny

P.S. as I said, not very self motivated... is there by chance a learning environment geared toward teaching people lpc... while working with others? I'm sort of thinking of something like the builder's acaddamy for learning circle... just thought I'd ask... thanks again!
Brawndel is offline   Reply With Quote