View Single Post
Old 04-22-2003, 08:08 AM   #1
Taniquetil

Taniquetil is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Taniquetil
Thumbs up

Been thinking a lot about the issue of guidelines for building, in perticular room guidelines. Of course, some general rules are needed, like you shouldn't decribe a action or feeling for a player. We all know these things, their pretty basic. But, really why stick to tightly to the "other rules" (describing only what you see, hear (which also could be wrong), smell (see above when you could create something a bit different (read poetic or likewise). I changed my views during my building years a lot, first I was very strict, sticking with the rules whatever. Then I started working on a savannah area and I read some interessting things about a special savannah tree called baobab tree. So I added it as an extra, but I wanted players to see what I found interessting when reading it, so I added a little story instead of a desc

"The baobab was among the first trees to appear on the land. Next came the slender, graceful palm tree. When the baobab saw the palm tree, it cried out that it wanted to be taller. Then the beautiful flame tree appeared with its red flower and the baobab was envious for flower blossoms. When the baobab saw the magnificent fig tree, it prayed for
fruit as well. The gods became angry with the tree and pulled it up by its roots, then replanted it upside down to keep it quiet."

So, comments or suggestions, would this be bad or good?
Taniquetil is offline   Reply With Quote