View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 01:43 PM   #9
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum
I hate to post something against the theme of the thread ... but let me explain myself:

I was NOT saying build what you dislike INSTEAD of what you like. What I was meaning is that too many people build ONLY what they like, and don't give any thought to what others might want in a MUD. I mean after all, are you making your game only for you - or for others. I don't know about you - but if I am spending all of my time and effort into building something ... I want it to be something that the most amount of people will enjoy and come and play. Including myself. Otherwise it IS a waste of time and effort. There are many things I might not desire in a MUD - but others might. It's those features I need to be willing to put in my game.

And the most important part of what I was saying is what it takes to build a successful MUD. I don't think enough people really ask themself why they are building a MUD. And if they do - too many answer that with some version of "because I think it would be cool if ..." or "I would love to see ..." There are so many MUDs out there to work on, that if those are your reasons for creating a new game - I feel you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

You know, in my opinion - agreeing with the quoted mentality is exactly why there are 4,328,102 MUDs out there. And why many new players flee from MUDs in general after only a short time of playing them. Too many people after playing a MUD for a while start thinking "Hay, I have all these great ideas for a MUD ... so I should run off and make my own game!"

Instead of all these MUD creators slamming the "pay-for-perks/play" niche or the MMORPGs, maybe they could learn something from them. Instead of every disgruntled, bored, or new player in the MUD community running out to build the "bestest UBERest kewlest" MUD in the world "that he would love to play" ... maybe more people could work on larger projects together and create truly great games.

But then again, maybe that's like asking for "World Peace" and "No more world hunger", and $15,000,000 in my bank account and a Lamborghini in the garage.
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote