View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
Kitriel

Kitriel is on a distinguished road
Re: High volume scripting question

Camlorn,

First, unfortunately the project I am working on is not open to the public but I can supply you with some teaser pictures i've uploaded for friends. (). It won't be open to the public til i'm at least 95% happy with where the game is and when it has a solid world. But basically, it's a complete codebase written from scratch. I haven't even seen any source code from other muds.

As for your first suggestion, I will look into it. I'm not overly sure where allowing each script 0.0001sec run-time vs allowing only 50 scripts full run-time per cycle of the mud loop would be more beneficial or quicker. But I will look into it.

Second, I already do this. There is no 'pause' in the mud loop at the moment so everything is being calculated/etc the second it needs to be. I haven't seen an issue with this, and at full script running speed the cpu sits at 50% (running 50scripts/cycle).

As for dialog trees, i'm not 100% sure what you mean by these and i'll certainly look them up. But if they are what I think they are (more trigger scripts based on user action than self run scripts based on time), I already have a ton of these implemented. Not only on the mob for certain events(such as someone entering/leaving the room or giving the mob an item) but also the capability for the builder to set unique trigger scripts based on user input (such as trying to interact with an object in the room desc or on the ground/etc. Basically whatever keyphrase the builder wants).

Once again, thanks for your suggestions and ideas. They're greatly appreciated since i've been beating my head against the wall on this issue for quite some time now.

-Kitriel
Kitriel is offline   Reply With Quote