View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #91
Famine

Famine is on a distinguished road
Re: FYI Mudconnector forums shut down

I think you're confusing bad experiences with people, products or services with having the right to judge whether or not those people, products or services are of a certain standard professionally.

No one is saying you can't have an opinion about those things based on a single experience or multiple experiences. That's ideally what separates the good from the bad in the eyes of the end user (i.e.: the consumer).

Experiences however, do not give you the right to make up the minds of everyone who has experiences with those people, products or services nor does it give you the right to judge them on a professional level IMHO.

For example, a doctor may make a mistake in diagnosing your problems. That same doctor may also prescribe something to you that instead helps the problem, makes it worse. Your understanding of the doctors approach to resolving that problem is normally conveyed to you in layman terms, but the medical reason may actually be a lot clearer to those in the medical field.

Regardless of the approach and the end result (which is worse in this example), you are not a medical professional who can professionally judge the doctor overall. You simply had a bad experience in one instance with a particular doctor who may or may not have made a mistake. Because you are not well versed in what is or is not a mistake in the medical field, how could you ever really judge if that one bad experience was truly wrong doing in the first place? That's what the medical board is for, and I assure you, the board or whoever is not composed of random people off the street who are experts simply because they watched every episode of ER or like your example, a group of people who had bad experiences with doctors.

How does that translate to this discussion? The same applies for any profession really. Game development more specifically. Just because you play games, had both good and bad experiences while gaming, does not make you a game developer. People who actually make a living off gaming or even develop games as a hobby, have a certain level of expertise over those who do not develop games period.

That's why I have always emphasized that feedback, good or negative, should always be conveyed as experiences (i.e.: i couldn't kill a goblin with magic missiles) rather than dictation (i.e.: you should adjust magic missiles to 10 damage from 5 so I can kill this goblin.)

Therefore, if you have never ran a MUD site. Who are you to dictate someone who has?

Last edited by Famine : 08-09-2013 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Too blunt!
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote