View Single Post
Old 05-18-2002, 02:35 PM   #10
Maggie

Maggie is on a distinguished road
I've played a couple that were rp encouraged, but not enforced; they seem to handle it in similar, although slightly different, ways.

In one, the rule is that you don't have to roleplay, but you do have to be IC at all times.  This means no talking about movies, ballgames, cars, etc. in public places, but not having to try to act the part of the character you play.

In the other, rp is required any time you iinterract with another character.  If you prefer to just power train and hunt, it is an option; but unless you are playing the part, you are only allowed to interract with others there for the same reason.

Neither has separate areas for the groups, but both have areas that are strictly OOC for those who do want to discuss things that wouldn't be acceptable in the general areas of the games.

I think there are various reasons for people playing these games in spite of not wanting to rp.  Some I've known do it because they like the mechanics better; some do it because they like the idea of being someone/something else, but lack the knowledge, experience or self-confidence to try to play the part; some do it because they have friends who play; some do it just to irritate those who do like to rp. I'm sure there are other reasons, but those are the few I've heard from players.

The only reason I've ever heard given for an elitist playing in one that doesn't enforce rp is that it's where they started, and they feel at home there.  I think it's much harder on those people, and those around them, since they seem to constantly have complaints about how other people choose to play.  It's hard for them to stay IC when those around them don't, and many feel the need to try to dictate how the others should act.  It seldom changes anything, but often causes hard feelings on both sides.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote