View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #46
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough
Re: What are the differences between a MUD and a MUSH?

While I don't agree with the main substance of Delerak's argument, since my conception of RP is rooted in and so on, I think he does make a good point about coded systems supporting interactions of a large number of players. A case in point is the Road to Amber mush, a large mush (much larger than BoD I believe) with an extensive (some would say complicated) set of coded tools for the support of RP. However RtA is distinctly different from a mud such as Armageddon, because RtA's code deals with a more meta, mush-like RP than the more mud-like RP you find on Arm.

Misao, I don't mind making the generalization that the difference between a RP mud and a RP mush is a mush is about collaborative ('meta-gaming') RP, and a mud is about actor-based (not meta-gaming) RP. You can split that a dozen different ways but I think in general it holds true and 90% of players of muds (which includes mushes ;D) will understand what you're talking about if you break it down in those terms.

My personal experience is that pound for pound, you find better writers on mushes. However I like a lot of things about muds, not just good writing, so that's why I don't play mushes in the limited time I have to play muds.
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote