View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Sombalance

Sombalance is on a distinguished road
Re: --Another Brain Picking Session--What Turns People On To RP?

I prefer original settings. To the point where I seldom log into games that are based on books or movies. I like to be able to get into the setting fairly quickly.

I don't mind reading a lot of documentation and writing pages of history and descriptive information to play a character, but I do mind having to do it for a game that I know very little about. I appreciate games that have an area where new players can explore the system a bit before requiring a lot of background (ie limit the character to a "newbie" area or to the number of levels that can be earned). I've spent too much time creating characters for games that had great web sites, finally get approved, and then log in to find an almost stock code base, no other players and/or content that doesn't meet the expectations set in the web site.

I still think that RP games are games, so I like things like skills that are coded into the game and that can be improved. I'm not too partial to the actual mechanics though, character levels or skill ranks or talent trees or whatever, are all pretty much the same to me. If I like the setting, then I can adapt to the mechanics. I like to see games where characters can advance skills without killing stuff.

It is great when solo characters can be part of the game. This doesn't mean that it needs to have a H&S component, it just means that if someone logs in and they are alone in the game, they can find a way to occupy their character until someone else comes in.

I like to play heroes or villains. I think player characters are special in the world and I'm always a little surprised when someone says they want to play a mundane character. If the character can't evolve into something than I think the roleplay can become stagnant ("what fine weather we are having today" type of stuff), but where characters can advance and compete, then there is the possibility of character creating a more vibrant rp environment.

I'd rather player with characters that want to be the center of attention as opposed to characters that want to fade into the background.

I would rather see the staff have a long term plan and stick to it instead of a staff that caves into player demands, but I it is also important that the players have a chance to shape the world around them. Having a setting where the actions of the characters can shape the world is important to me.

The game has to have an overall friendly feel to it, and has to be willing to accept that it is still a game. An oppressive game isn't really that much fun.

I like when the developers put code in place to minimize the impact of cheating as opposed to creating lots of rules. Accept things like scripts and triggers and do something to minimize the impact of it instead of trying to monitor random people to see if they are on line typing the commands. When you have rules, be clear in what they are and what the consequence of breaking the rules are, and stick to them. Please don't have a generic "don't do anything the admins wouldn't approve of" rule.

And, just in general, RP games should have a way for players to coordinate RP in the game. If two players are on line, being able to figure out a way to meet so they can join up is a good thing and should be encouraged

Just my 2cents
Sombalance
Sombalance is offline   Reply With Quote