View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 07:17 AM   #5
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Pmotes, Smotes, Oh My!

Pmote's replace a player's name in a string with "you" when seen by the target of the social.
e.g.
if I pmote waves at Mabus.
room sees: Davairus waves at Mabus
Mabus sees: Davairus waves at you

Its basically harmless and well worth implementing, as far as I have been able to tell.

Smote means, the emoter's name may appear anywhere in the string. Its like an Immortal's "poofin".

You want to be careful with SMOTE. Creative players will be able to readily abuse the command. I wish I could think of some terrible example but suffice it to say, if you have smote, you are going to have at the very least, end up with something like players emoting "John the Imm kneels before Twink and worships him." And the only way you can identify who really wrote that is to prefix the real name in front of it, which looks really ugly. Even outside the realm of vulgarity, there's still lots of ways to be very irresponsible with smote.

If you have some way to restrict smote, in theory that might help, because it is really nice for rp'ers to be able to emote things like "Tears run down RP'ers face". Unfortunately you will probably find that turns into a drama over who gets to use smote and who doesn't, and have to deal with a lot of complaining about that. Plus you might end up falling out with people you trusted and they let you down.
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote