View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #82
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's try this again...RP MUD

Monarchy is a form of Government, and was present in full force during the Renaissance age. And therefore worth discussing here.
I have no trouble playing under such, or any other form of government found in MUD. What I have troubles with are certain players, and staffers, who are overly dominate and care about having power with in a Game--which eventually ruins it, even for those players who've been there for a very long time. That is what gets tiresome, and what I'd dearly love to see are the site's operators bring it to an end.

Now back to the current discussion on Governments, which this thread now seems heading in, not only does Monarchy have much to do with the discussion at hand especially concerning Mideval-based MUD's, but is also a viable system that is being used in MUD's--including those with a science-fiction theme, where you either have:
1. A directly ruling Monarchy over all aspects of its territory.
2. A Monarchy that works through Bureaucratic 'layers' that shields them.
3. An overwhelming Bureaucracy (either along the lines of 1984 (with its police) or Brazil (with all that paperwork)) that is in every way an over-grown, over-reaching, and overly-inefficent to the point that it meddles in all aspects of life-pretty much like present governments are lately.

Also, the farther outward one goes from the more established areas of Govenrment, the more they'll find states of Lawlessness--as it was in the Wild West. Star Wars and Firefly had this fact as a significant part of their story universes, as well as many other literary works.

These facts, and the rest mentioned in this post, are what I keep in mind while helping build Eterena.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote