DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Atonement: The End

After an epic four day event known as [Sundown], Atonement RPI shut its doors earlier this week. I didn't do this because we were losing players (we weren't), or because we were tired of the game (we weren't). I did this, because I always envisioned Atonement to be a different breed of RPI; more than a sandbox, it was a story and character-driven RPI that moved across the solar system and presented a storyline more intricate and developed than what I've seen elsewhere. In the end, the remnants of humanity sacrificed themselves to save an alternate universe where they were, comparably happy and safe - where there were not Genetic Terrors. And, not wanting to go quietly into the night, they attacked the hive mind while being impossibly overrun by the Genetic Terrors' Mother-ships and turned their nuclear fusion engine into a giant space bomb - exacting vengeance upon their nightmarish hunters for the extinction of the human race.

There's some great threads going on on our forums, including the one that I started once the event ended. It details our team's next efforts (two new RPIs, one commercial PC game and the open-sourcing of the AtonementRPI Engine).

If you are an RPI enthusiast, or are seeking a powerful engine optimized for the design of an RPI, we have made our engine available as open-source; we decided to do this, because we believe that the RPI genre is an important one and deserves more original, high-quality game options. You can get your hands on it by following the directions in the thread below.

A great thanks to the community for being supportive of our efforts. Over three years, we managed to create an amazing story through Atonement with a firm beginning, middle and end. Whereas many Online RPGs continue on indefinitely, as a story-teller at heart, I was incredibly happy to keep our story compact and powerful. This game was a bit of an experiment, and it was probably one of the most rewarding risks that I've taken in my life.

I will certainly keep everyone in the community informed of our team's upcoming efforts.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote