View Single Post
Old 11-17-2003, 11:50 AM   #12
visko

visko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to visko Send a message via AIM to visko
I do my own coding on my own MUD, so I don't have a lot of experience being a coder for another...

That being said, I kept a MUD up for a couple of years a while ago (coded with a lot of feeling, but not a lot of knowledge or skill at the time) and contracted a lot of different admin staffs to help me out.

For a lot of reasons, things didn't work out and I'm in the development process once again. But I will probably never hire another coder based on posting on a MUD site or anywhere else. I know a few people who I trust with my code, and those are the ones I keep around for advice or help.

One of the previous posters mentioned a mutual distrust between owners and coders; I've noticed this. Generally it happens with people who have no idea what they're doing and truly are snippet-monkeys, but if an IMP is so exacting and controlling, and has little knowledge of code or reasons why completely rewriting the combat infrastructure of a MUD might take more than a couple of hours, the anger and frustration can extend beyond the simple "really stupid 13-year-old patchmonkey" relationship.

To address what I think is the bigger point, and has been stressed rather strongly: you come off as an arrogant ass. If I met you in real life, I'd probably slap you repeatedly. And I pray (with my idiotic Christian beliefs) to God for mercy on the unwitting souls who try to work with you.

Maybe I'm wrong. Possibly you can be just as agreeable as the next MUD admin (*cough*) but you have so far demonstrated nothing that would infer this.

So as to being simple-minded and inferior...sure. Why not. But my head isn't stuck "in the clouds" of methane somewhere inside the nether regions of your ass either.

-Visko
visko is offline   Reply With Quote