Thread: Rapture license
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2003, 01:36 PM   #63
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
First, for whatever it is worth, let me qualify my response by disclosing that I am associated with Iron Realms so my views are somewhat biased.

In any event, the business model of Iron Realms has always impressed me as being not only commercially successful but fair to players as well as providing an enriching gaming experience. The crux of the business model is that it costs nothing to play but players do have the option of buying credits for in-game benefits. I understand the argument against this model boils down to the benefits that players receive for credits skew the game play itself. While this may seem meritorious on its surface, having been involved in Achaea (the Iron Realms' flagship MUD) since its inception, from mortal to admin, I have reached a different conclusion and hope to address what I see as myths that seem to perpetuate on these boards.

MYTH: Players must purchase credits to fully play the game.
REALITY: This is downright false. The world is fully open to those who choose never to purchase credits. One of the aspects of the business model that I think is rather financially egalitarian is that a player can never purchase credits, or purchase credits at the rate he or she can afford (be it $10 per month or $10 per year). In a nutshell, players can decide for themselves what the game is worth and invest in their character accordingly at the rate of their own choosing. Personally, this appeals to me as opposed to subscriptions where one must pay per month. Perhaps I can afford something this month, perhaps I can't (or don't feel it's worth it). Either way, I can still play.

MYTH: You can only get "advantages" through purchasing credits.
REALITY: Players can also, through dint of hard work, make gold through quests, bashing, or commercial endeavors and use that gold to buy credits from other players (there is a thriving credit market) and in turn acquire those same "advantages".

MYTH: Many players resent those who take the "shortcut" of purchasing credits.
REALITY: Interestingly enough, I don't see a lot of that. I suppose those players that have a real problem with this simply leave the game and I never hear from them which is fair enough. On the other hand, the game play itself is set up so one's involvement or enjoyment of the game is not limited by whether or not one has credits.

MYTH: Players can "buy" high positions in the game.
REALITY: Uh, no. I'm not sure where this came from but players who spend no credits have the same opportunity to rise in the political or social realm as those who buy credits (being that political/social positions are democratically elected by players). Strength of personality is much more important than if you happen to have a nifty sword.

MYTH: The great players will not stay, only the mediocre.
REALITY: I personally see those I consider great players who stay, some purchasing no credits, some purchasing only a few (the majority really), and some purchasing a lot. I suppose one could argue that the really great players only stay at MUDs where the "playing field is level" and thus I never see the really, truly greatest of the great, cream of the crop, top-drawer elite players. Don't know how I can possibly respond to that except to say that it's my loss, and please forgive me if I still enjoy Achaea and those who enthusiastically play there. I think I can live with that.
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote