View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Re: Muds only appeal to certain types of people.

I'm a firm believer that anybody can train their mind to do what they want it to do. If you grow up in a house of math you'll be good at it whether that side of the brain is good or not. I happen to be the same as you, but I grew up in a household of words. My father is an author and everybody in my house read books religiously when growing up.

Just curious, look at the upbringing of people. If your math friend grew up in a very technical household I wouldn't be surprised. And if you grew up much the same I did, that could easily explain why certain people gravitate towards history/english and others gravitate towards science/math. I think we're a product of our environment. There is certain unusual things though like people doing exactly the opposite of their family or whatever. I don't know how we can explain it really, but I know I've always been much like you, and writing papers or understanding words comes naturally to me. That is most likely why I got attached to MUDs and not programming. However now I can do both, because I've studied math and programming so like I mentioned before, with time I think anyone can get better at something and enjoy it.

It's like the right-handed tennis player being taught to play left handed.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote