View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #39
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Looking for an RPI, where the 'I' stands for "Immersive"

No RPI MUDs, at least none that I'm aware and I'm pretty neck-deep into them, claim they are RPI because they have better RP. They may claim both, but without linking the two. And pretty much every MUD claims they have great RP. RPIs claim a particular set of features. Those features are designed around role-play and staying within character, not skill advancement or leveling.

The confusion seems to stem from believing Role-Play Intensive MUD and Intensive Role-Play are one and the same. They are not. In the latter, "intensive" refers to the role-play, saying that it is marked by an intensity of experience. In the former example, "intensive" refers to the MUD in the same way the term "labor-intensive" does mean that the labor itself is "intense". The word "intensive" means that the expenditure of emphasis, be it coding or policy, is on the word that precedes it: in the case of RPI, role-play.

Role-Play Intensive therefore isn't a reflection on the word Role-Play. What the term is referring to is that the features are designed around role-play, not around the traditional nature of MUD gameplay (ie, leveling, skill advancement, etc). While skills advance on an RPI, the emphasis, via policy, is on role-play and the features reflect the ambiguity that the mechanics should be paid attention.

I have a friend who's an English professor and I keep meaning to have him write a technical explanation of this but alas every time I talk to him it slips my mind. I must be getting senile. :-D

On the issue of OOC channels, I have been on numerous RP-enforced MUDs with them and despite claims to the contrary, the channels are not used sparingly and in a manner similar to RPIs. I heartily remember one RPE claiming they had never had a case of OOC channel abuse in the history of their game. Within a matter of days I learned they had recently been forced to temporarily shut down their OOC channel on account of abuse. Perusing their forums using the keyword OOC, I discovered this was not the first such instance. Now, there are always bad apples and MUDs without global channels are just as prone to such individuals using any existing means to carry out similar behavior. But not all players utilize AIM or forums or other means of OOC contact. And when such individuals use in-game channels to inappropriately convey IC information, the effect is limited. Say something to someone in a room and that person hears it as does everyone else in the room. Say it over a global channel and everyone playing has been exposed. Regardless of whether or not other means of abusing IC information over OOC could occur, such as AIM or forums, this particular danger isn't possible if there exist no OOC global channels (I use that term to distinguish between IC global channels used by administrators for purposes of managing the game and which are typically shielded from players anyway).

Take care,

Jason

Last edited by prof1515 : 03-12-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Left out a VERY IMPORTANT word without which the meaning of a sentence was completely reversed.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote