View Single Post
Old 03-29-2015, 12:33 AM   #9
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road
Re: Avalon: The Legend Lives (Http:\\www.avalon-rpg.com) approaches its 25th Annivers

I just spent a few hours of my evening sending the command "learn [skillset] from [NPC]" while doing other things. The NPC always responds with a dozen or so lines of the same skill-specific flavor text (eg: practicing swimming though there's no water around) which takes a couple minutes to run through, and then I have to send the command again. It often takes many sendings of the command to learn a new skill from the skillset. This is how skills are learned (exception: I learned skills from the Farming and Labors skillsets by basically standing around reading help files). EDIT: apparently you can eat an herb to make the process faster, but it still does take a lot of commands to get up there.

The other day some guy was killed by some other guy a couple dozen times. How do I know this? The seemingly endless stream of MUD PVP kill announcements. That sounds like terrific PVP.

It appears that some guilds are reskins of a basic guild type. There's four crafting guilds, but they all sound the same. There's also a druid and an animist guild, and the difference is that one is a little more pacifistic than the other. The brigands are slightly more evil variants of the rangers. It's a huge hassle to make alts to try out other guilds to see so I can't say with absolute certainty what the differences are between all of the guild groups. The junior apprenticeship only lets you try a few guilds, and I guess this is because the other guilds are also reskins.

Guilds and cities need bodies. I got talked into joining a guild and right away I gained sponsorship with what I thought felt like bare bones RP. I gave up RPing at one point during the introduction with the guild leaders about what I'm supposed to learn (and it's a whole lot of stuff) because they weren't RPing that much, and because everything was presented in a way that wasn't conducive to RP. I also did something legal to two characters who got mad and broke RP to tell me that they had proof that my character did something on their text logs. Often I can't tell when the expectation is to be IC or OOC. EDIT: I did some quests with a fellow newbie guild member, and since he already did them, he pretty much led me around the game and told me in says what commands to use and where. When we started I was under the impression that we'd work together on them.

The emote system is basically a series of commands that send a stock emote to the room. You can do freeform emotes, but the people I ran into just used the stock emotes.

It seems like every direct or indirect offensive ability has either a proactive or reactive countermeasure. This means that there's a lot of curative and preventative items.

I'm constantly editing what I type to rearrange words for British spelling.

Someone really, really wants you to know the lore, and there have been times when I was expected to regurgitate stuff that I read in help files.

Last edited by dark acacia : 03-29-2015 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Made a correction and added some details.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote