Thread: Mass Wars
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2002, 04:56 AM   #5
Alexander Tau

Alexander Tau is on a distinguished road
This topic just happens to go along with a new game design I have been considering. It would be set in the Future and be based on exploration and colonization of a small number of planets. The initial set-up would be a large Space Station where hi-tech rules and everyone can live if they wish. But from the start a single Planet at least would be open for colonization.

I have always wanted to really do something with Building, so the Planets will be raw, filled wth animals, resources, any who knows what mind-bending things.

So for the planets I am thinking of a closed ecosystem where the sheer number of natural creatures is so large the players have to carve out, and defend, any attempts at settlements. Some NPC settlements probably would be on the Planet, along with all sorts of inhabitants. Starting with tents and inflatable domes, and setting up industry and such should be a challenge. The players will be able to lay roads, and make the home town they wish.

I think the system to maintain the creatures on the planets will have to respond to events, specifically loss or attacks on creatures. Some animals will run from attacks, some will fight back, and so on, but beyond that is a need to present the illusion of a well stocked world without having too many mobile creatures running around. Spawning creatures, checking on total living creatures, and adjusting for active players, most of that should not be too tough to do.

But when a group ventures onto these Planets at first, you will have mass battle. My thought is that a selection of creatures will be overtly hostile. These will have to be handled in a wide area right off the bat. Then you have a host of types that will attack when scared, and those that just retreat. Add a few other types and you have a nice mix for players to learn about.

For this sort of thing it helps if your map makes sense in normal coordinate terms, so you can scan and look at things by relative distance.

Falconer, most of what you said sounds fine, but I think legions of NPCs can really add to an RP game. There are any number of 'jobs' that are a significant part of adventure stories, and the armies are one of them. Having control over NPCs is usually enjoyable, and if they are designed to give reasonable responses and simulate life, so much the better. Combat itself should not be the whole point of a good game so in that sense I agree with you.

A.T
(-)
Alexander Tau is offline   Reply With Quote