View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 11:14 PM   #1
shander

shander is on a distinguished road
I did a cursory look over an hour over a number of threads and will read more. (gee some stuff on the merits of bots and pvp compared to chess ect are tantalizing discussions to jump into, but I'll jump there later)

Newbie question. What is IRE that people talk about? not that little cartoon stuff Ire game engine that pops up in a google search for IRE? is it?

Seond.. I have been playing Avlalon Legends for a year. I like it better that TV , especially now that I've watched every Nova, and history channel show ever made due to tivo, junk yard wars got stale and survior is ok sometime. I went throug the sitcom jokes 10 years ago, although I enjoyed seinfelf for a bit.

I like the reality/ unpreicabilty in entertainement. I can play semi atttentively for large portions of the day as I keep mutple screens up at work. I'll pay more attention for 5 or 10 minutes an hour sometimes, other times be off, other times maybe have something in the oven while following a diagalogue or something more tactical. Avlon has stuff like mining and commondity production that goes ok with working on a spread sheet on the second or third monitor , or making a buisness phone call etc...

There will be other hours where I can pay 100% attention, after tucking the kids and wife into bed. These times are better suited for melee or etc.

While PvP kiling isn't my personal favorite part of the game I wouldn't want to play a game without it. I want the fight jocks hanging out as part of the personality mix, and the element of danger and need to either gang up, or arm oneselves or get better to defend oneself seems importan to me.

I like , if fact need, the well written rooms that Avalon has. The quality of the prose is vital. While I like the fight jocks around, I like folks with sharp wits and large vocabularies making wise cracks etc.

A polictical and campaign orrientation that allows days and weeks to unfold and allows folks working in concurence to gain other sorts of balances of power on other levels than a top fighter would is great.

I should like a world where long time players can build sects, cities, even develope terrrain by their concerted efforts. I like the idea of different people playing in the same land with cross purposes. Why not go to a mud to play checkers in character with another character between bouts of gold questing or commodity making?

Also, a lattitude for Quasi- adult humor and contextual refferences that blur the lines betwen this world and the other help. Enough adults so that one could make dirty innuendo like in a shakespeare play... rockus violent sexual political ironic incconguities etc. OK I'll stop. CS lewis Narnia books with the authors assides in descriptions of narnia vs his england were a fun level of escape.
shander is offline   Reply With Quote