View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #50
Disillusionist

Disillusionist will become famous soon enough
Re: Determining the Origin and Meaning of RPI

I tend to agree that I would prefer the second example, mainly because of the annoying color scheme of the first one.
What I suppose seems lacking from the example is that ambiguous one, wherein a mud, lacking this 'defining set of characteristics' is used to its fullest.
I've played such muds, and much of what defines the "RPI" one from the "non-RPI" one can be handled with some simple toggles or a little typing.

>disable ansi
You will no longer see ansi color variants in your text output.
>chat off
You are no longer subscribed to the chat channel. You cannot turn this channel on again for 15 minutes.
>emote rises from his crouch amidst the grass, his lips turning into a deep frown, and says, "Best not be huntin' my food, traveler."
OTHER GUY
>clench spear
emote etc etc (or create a single emote line)

There's really nothing to be done to save the spammy, single-response-line combat, though, and I agree this shallow presentation wouldn't likely hold my interest for very long.

I note that both examples contain a typo in the roomlong. And it's a three-letter word. STRIKE ONE.

I could also post a log from an "RPI" or "near-RPI" where a series of random room emotes, coupled with sun/moon movement emotes and idle oxen emotes, would've dominated such a short scene.

The sun travels westward on its course toward the horizon, and its possible to imagine (DEITY)'s chariot drawing it along.
The moon (INSERT RANDOM VOWELS AND CONSONANTS TO MAKE A NAME) rises in the northwest, its gibbous face gleaming impartially on the world below.
Flatulance does not appear to bother the oxen, and the large male demonstrates this loudly.
Rippybirds call out trillingly from the nearby grasses.
Etc.

It's not that I miss some of the intent of the OP to 'define' a subset of features as more conducive to RP. It's that even in this pair (now trio) of examples, we -still- see some poor slob just trying to feed himself, and a cocky swaggerer trying to make that more difficult or even make sure that the slob knows he poses no threat level to the swaggerer. Sure, I could get immersed in the scene, but the scene itself precisely exemplifies why distinguishing 'superior' RP from 'less so' RP can be somewhat futile.
Disillusionist is offline   Reply With Quote