DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

I've said it elsewhere, put I'll push my thoughts on the matter here as well.

The vast majority of recently self-labeled "RPIs" make use of the RPI Engine, which like SMAUG and many other open-source "MUD codebases", is a derivative of DIKU. They all tend to have similar features, which makes sense as they were developed based on a codebase that was written for folks who liked the features of games that labeled themselves as "RPIs".

Sure, ARM predates the RPI Engine, but the vast majority of games which sport similar gameplay/features since then have used the open-source RPI Engine released by Shadows of Isildur.

I could create a MUSH focused on the Viking myth of Ragnarok and call it "Godwars: Ragnarok", and there couldn't be anyone to stop me. However, for the players who recognize "Godwars" to refer to a specific open-source codebase, it would be confusing. I believe most players of RPIs that are leery towards other games using the term out-of-context, feel that way because they see it as misleading. I, too, think that it is misleading - though I don't really care much what other folks call their games.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote