Thread: Diku license
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2003, 06:55 PM   #54
kaylus1

Neither do the tons of other licenses, again you should probably look up specifics on "implied conditions" on a site with contract law. Or just do a general google search which should be just as easy. I seriously doubt people are going to assume that network data and dynamic text is part of the distribution clause.

Jazuela, you talk about other people misinterpreting the license when you sit here and imagine the license the way you want and argue it as truth in a LEGAL FORUM. Regardless, i'd like you to re-read my last letter. I said let's assume that sending data over a network constitutes distribution,  something I highly doubt. Bet let's assume it does and break down the license Jazuela style:

Jazuela is stating: Sending data to a connected client constitutes distributing [to distribute*syn: give out, give away, hand out] a part of dikumud.

So by Jazuela logic:  Any time the mud sends data to the client it must be accompanied by the license.

Bravo for pointing this out to us Jazuela. Now everyone who runs a DIKU mud needs to include the license with every piece of data they send out, oh yeah better tag it on to any stock room or help file too. Unfortunately, as with your statement about the distribution clause covering connected clients, I doubt you would be able to pass it off anywhere.

Crymerci, I am not reading the legal forum to read about the spirit of the license and see which is morally or ethically right. Regardless of whether agree or disagree with you, I am reading the legal forum to see what people -assume- is LEGALLY right. No one here even said they were going to use the Diku codebase as stated, most of the people arguing, including myself, have written their own codebases.  We are looking at the legal view.

I hope that other people while reading this forum will throw off their 'Spirit' badges for a few seconds and hopefully learn something, so that when it's their turn to write a license they don't make the same mistakes. It's always good to learn something new, closing your eyes and saying "Listen to the spirit" does nothing. Unless you are smoking peyote.

Kaylus

P.S. As stated by numerous people, we can argue what we assume the court will say, but we will never truly know unless it goes to court.