View Single Post
Old 07-09-2003, 06:09 PM   #9
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Ponder, that's an interesting idea actually, but not really workable in our business model which involves never having to pay to play, and paying only when you want.

Now, in a subscription mud, while it'd be hard to do what you're talking about fairly on a case-by-case basis it might be interesting to allow griefers to get away with more by paying more per month or something. Still, I don't think it's something I'd want to do to the other players since it's not just the company's bottom line that suffers from grief activities: It's the other players as well, and the fact that a griefer is paying the company extra in order to grief you isn't likely to make you, the victim, feel much better.

Now what'd be interesting, though probably not workable, would be using our business model to essentially force grief players to pay their victims (upon admin decision that the grief players were victimizing someone against the rules) in our 'credits'. (You buy credits from us or other players, but they all come from us originally via purchase or rewards for writing or art or quests, etc.)

Imagine: Bob kills Pete against our rules, and Bob has to cough up a few credits to pay Pete for his trouble. Bob endures some sort of hindering punishment until he pays off his 'fine' to Pete.

The problem with it is that credits involve real money and the admins who enforce our rules are not perfect. I wouldn't want to be taking credits from people without being absolutely sure it was deserved, and it's nearly impossible to be absolutely sure an admin judgement is right. Certainly over time, some will definitely be wrong.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote