View Single Post
Old 02-28-2003, 12:45 PM   #10
Crystal

Name: Crystal
Home MUD: Advent of the Mists
Home MUD: Advent of the Mists
Crystal is on a distinguished road
To be honest, there have been several occasions where I was lazy and didn't feel like creating a background. I did a lot of improv and spur of the moment RP which eventually developed my characters background for me. Some of my best characters came out that way.

But when I do decide to develop a character, I usually try to figure out the 'type' of character I feel like playing first, and then go from there. I pick a hometown to base their childhood/adolescence from, and depending on that hometown culture, I then figure out the personality they would have. If they grew up in a snotty neighborhood, then perhaps they'd be a snoot, or if they grew up in a thief ridden village, maybe a dishonest lowlife. It really depends.

Some of the bigger fleshing out bits I try to focus on, are whether or not my character is really passionate about something. A religion perhaps? What I want them to eventually develop into....a serious mage?

Everyone tries to be unique, but eventually that unique-ness becomes overplayed.
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote