View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 02:39 PM   #29
Zhiroc

Zhiroc is on a distinguished road
Re: Professional vs Hobbyist

The thrust of my points run into a few things:

1. Availability: having a data center, T1 lines, climate control all relate to the professionalism of the hardware. Maybe not so much the network bandwidth, but DSL is not something to be running a game through. Imagine a game where the owner started a software download through a small pipe...

2. Recovery: when failures/disasters happen, can you get back up? True, backups fail when you need them a lot But still, tell me you're trying... Having alternate h/w or guaranteed replacement means it's not down a week, or a month, or until you get enough donations to buy a new box

3. Problem resolution: Having a wizard/imm around is important to do conflict resolution, rather than having to let it fester til the morning. Or to reset a bugged quest. Or... etc. Having on-site operators lets you get the system rebooted if it's hung. I've been on games when it's down all night when that happened.

I doubt that any of this would be useful as a searchable criteria. But it sure would be nice to see what a game says about how far they've planned for it.
Zhiroc is offline   Reply With Quote