View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
ReanA

ReanA is on a distinguished road
Re: "Planned" RP or Pure Immersion?

Wow! There's so much to reply to, I'm glad to see such a discussion!

@dentin: Personally, I like the RP part of IRE games because it just feels natural. It definitely isn't me in Achaea leading armies, but parts of my personality definitely seep into my character. That's the beauty though, you don't need to spend hours plotting and planning a character; it's just as enjoyable to go with the flow. I don't put much thought into the subtext or underlining principals of what that may imply, it's all about having fun here, and I'm still enjoying it after 7 years. The mandatory tour is a pain sometimes, but it does help teach new-to-mudding newbies the way the game works, so it definitely has its strengths and weaknesses.

@SnowTroll: That's a really good point; the idea of a "RP" game does tend to have a negative connotation to it for the general person. It might be better if it was worded differently. The majority of the players I've seen when in RP games stay in-character rather than going out of their way to do "RP scenarios", so while I wouldn't call that hardcore RP, I'd definitely consider it a positive, stress-free break from real life. It's like being another person in another world for me rather than trying to plan out events or something like that.

@Will: I like your point of view and agree with you -- different people enjoy different things, so it's important that a game has something to offer everyone (or at least a variety of things). There are also very different ideals of RP and "proper" RP; so while there isn't some kind of law of gravity that everyone can agree on and declare "this is good RP" or "this is bad RP", I think the most important part is people enjoying what they're doing, whatever kind of RP it is. Approval from other people shouldn't matter, so long as they're enjoying it.

@Erisine: Another strength of Achaea is the varying degrees of RP that can be found if you look hard enough. Some people are very laid-back RPers (guilty!), others are very hardcore and a lot of people fall somewhere inbetween. While it can be difficult to find the sort of RP you want, you're bound to find some if you keep trying. There's a lot of players, I'd suggest giving it another shot if you have time. Try Ashtan out, the Occultists have fantastic RP.

Overall: Generally, what I've seen in Achaea is people simply staying in-character. I'm not sure if this fits your personal definition of RP, it probably doesn't. But the point of any game is to be enjoyable, and Achaea does a good job of providing that kind of opportunity. All of your input has been very interesting, it's nice to see so many different points of view.
ReanA is offline   Reply With Quote